Monday, May 24, 2010

This is the sh*t. I am the pig.

"The only bad weather is weather that stays the same." I remember this sales slogan from my early 20's when I sold expensive Timberland goods to tourists as a way of funding my ski bum lifestyle. I agree with it now as much as I did back then. I love +40C and -40C, I just don't like either of them for weeks on end.

The same goes for rain, of which we've been having a lot of lately. Here Colin crossing a side creek on May 17th
and the same creek on May 20th. That's a lot of rain.
However, Saturday's cyclocross fun sparked my motivation to get out and make the most of it, or at least shut-up and get on with it. If the weather insists on being shit, I will wallow.
I headed for a section of riverbank trail that I knew was going to be muddy. Not many folks use this trail, particularly during these conditions. The trail traverses the narrow and steep south bank of the river between the water and the petroleum refineries. The north aspect and heavy forest cover means the dirt track is usually wet in spots.
Add a week of rain and the trail becomes stupidly slick on even the slightest slope.
Translation: six-year-old-splashing-in-the-puddles fun. I had so much fun the first time through that I changed my intended loop-route to an out-and-back so I could do it all over again. When running becomes work it's time to go out and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment