Wednesday, September 29, 2010

autumn's here

"...autumn's here
And it makes you sad
About the crumby
Summer we had"

-Hawksley Workman
This summer's weather sucked. Sort of a maritime-arctic mix. Very atypical for the normally scorched prairies.  But what a fall we're having. So far it's been the summer we barely had.
IMG_1024
I took a couple of weeks off after Lost Souls to recover. I was both physically and mentally tired from running. My apathy was not helped by the crumby weather.
IMG_1020
However, it's been too nice lately not to be running so I headed into the river valley where I knew I'd get a good dose of fall awesomeness.
IMG_1026
The run itself wasn't so pleasant but I expected that. It seems my muscles and joints begin to lock up the moment I stop moving. Coming back after a weekend off is uncomfortable so I knew a two-week hiatus was going to hurt. This crash has definitely become worse with age and mileage. So long as I keep running I've never felt better.
IMG_1025
Fall never lasts long around here. All it takes is one cold, windy day to strip the trees of their colour. At that point we transition into the much less inspiring and much longer gray phase of fall - basically winter without skiable snow. Hopefully the nice weather sticks around awhile longer. There's still quite a bit of crumby summer weather to make up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment