Friday, June 18, 2010

peace and solitude

I've been struggling to find my legs all week after being knocked on my butt by three days of flu. My parents happened to be visiting at the same time, which would have hampered training anyway, but the after-effect would have been less physically. The absolute crap weather we continue to endure also has not helped my motivation. Two months ago the concern was drought. Now the question is, "how bad will the flooding be"?

The forecast for today was sun and the leaden-feeling in my legs, chest and head was largely gone. I was looking forward to today's hill workout as a chance to push myself a bit, as well as an opportunity clear my mind.
One of the things that I enjoy most about running is being alone with myself. It's a great opportunity to escape the noise and frantic pace of a city and focus my mind on a single topic or, as is often the case, on nothing at all. Even on the rare occasions that I run in a group I still manage to keep largely within my own space. This is especially true during high-intensity workouts like hill repeats. My senses are overloaded with feedback from my body - burning thighs, rapid breathing, pounding heart - and my mind is focused on 1) staying on pace and 2) not tripping and falling on my face. Generally nothing distracts me.

Except today. I had just turned to start my next ascent when I heard the nothing's-wrong-high-pitched-scream of young girls. I ignored it and continued up the hill. Nearing the top and thinking only about ending my discomfort I suddenly became aware that I was not alone. I turned for my descent into an on coming wave of grade-school kids coming up the hill behind me.
Some were running, some walking, and a few were having none of it and sat in the grass at the bottom. I guess the local school went on temporary recess so teachers could detune the restless students. It was funny to watch. Some kids ran up and down several times, some log-rolled down, and some chose to sit and enjoy the sun. Either way, they all appeared a lot less spastic when the time came to return to class leaving me once again alone with my thoughts and another three repeats to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment