Monday, June 28, 2010

Skyline Trail, Jasper

45km; 7:12:02 running; 7:35:26 on trail

I knew what I was in for before I left the car. According to my guide book, "if there is snow anywhere in Jasper it will be on the Skyline". Driving into Hinton, all I could see was snow-capped peaks. Yeah, it was going to be a tough day.

Against my guidebook's recommendation, I decided to start from the lower Signal Mountain trailhead, which is 520 m below the Maligne Lake trailhead. I was willing to pay for the elevation deficit by reasoning it would be easier to find a ride down the Maligne Lake road at the end of the day than finding a ride up. I actually had no idea whether this was true and I was prepared, in theory, for an empty parking lot and a 45 km run back to the car.

The trail begins with an uninspiring 8.5 km grind up an old fire road. It was an annoying grade - not steep enough to justify walking but steep enough to make my calves burn and sweat pour from my brow.
The trees ended when the trail left the fire road and the views improved dramatically. Here the trail crosses the shoulder of Signal Mountain.
Alpine fir on the slopes of Mt. Tekarra.

Soggy meadows above Tekarra Lake.

Marmot! Did you know marmot are also known as whistle pigs and are the namesake of Whistler, BC? Me neither.
Switchback up Ambler Mountain above Centre Lakes.
From here trail conditions became more challenging as I make my way to the summit of Amber Mountain.
Panoramic view looking north from Amber's summit.
Looking south towards The Notch.
Looking south from The Notch towards Big Shovel Pass.
Looking north from Big Shovel Pass at The Notch above Curator Lake.
Looking south from Big Shovel Pass towards Snowbowl and Little Shovel Pass.
Looking towards Snowbowl from Little Shovel Pass.
Little Shovel Pass.

Contrary to my expectations, I never saw Maligne Lake from Little Shovel Pass. Instead the pass was a big slurpee of melt water pools beneath a cover of snow. The final 10 km was a quick downhill. Fortunately the Maligne Lake parking lot was full and I was able to quickly catch a ride back to my starting point.

I would definitely recommend the Skyline Trail as a run or backpack. It's considered one of the best hikes in North America for a reason. Just wait until the snow melts. With weather like this, the wait won't be long.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jeff
    Cool blog.
    Is the trail rideable?

    Gear

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never say never but riding some sections would take bigger legs and nerves than I have. It's fun to think about though!

    ReplyDelete