Sunday, February 20, 2011

the best mitts ever

One of the hardest parts of winter training is dressing the part. Moisture management is key, particularly if you're out for hours at a time. I have yet to find anything better for my hands than felted wool mitts. Whether is -5C or -40C, my hands stay warm and dry. They're even fairly wind resistant.
IMG_1262
This is what felted mitts look like after a 4-hour run when the windchill is -26C. Yes, that is frozen sweat on the right hand. That was my windward side for the last 2 hours. My mitts were by far my most comfortable piece of clothing by end of this run. Everything else was soaking wet or frozen solid.

These mitts were knit for me by the Mrs. and no, she is not going to make you a pair. I'm hoping she's going to be busy making me a one-piece suit to get me through the rest of this winter. Hey, a guy can dream!

1 comment:

  1. I will think about another pair of mitts - but a one-piece doubtful, though the image is entertaining.

    ReplyDelete