Monday, February 21, 2011

elk island national park

Located less than an hour from Edmonton, Elk Island National Park is a perfect place for a winter run.
IMG_1251
The main road is free of ice, sees very little traffic, has a shoulder when a car does pass, and the speed limit is 60km/hr. It's also 20km from the north gate to the south gate, so it's the perfect distance for ultra training.
IMG_1253
Compared to the city, Elk Island is Shangri-la. There is no traffic drone, no aggressive drivers, no planes and helicopters overhead, no oblivious pedestrians, and no off-leash dogs. You can actually hear birds and squirrels going about their business in the roadside brush. There is other wildlife, too. Today I saw a Ruffed Grouse in the top of a sapling, a coyote hiding in the bushes hoping that it wasn't seen, and several bison. This small individual was up to its elbows digging for forage.
IMG_1250
The park was uncommonly quiet today, which is not surprising given the frigid temperature - it did get up to -13C at one point but the windchill kept the realized temperature in the -20 to -29C range.
IMG_1252
I stopped at the south gate for a snack and a picture and my pants froze solid! I still had 7km back to the car. I bet I'm not smiling under that mask.
IMG_1257
Still, it was a good run and a great day for a run. I know I'm smiling in this picture!
IMG_1260

1 comment:

  1. Jeff! Those mittens made by the Mrs. are awesome! Looks like a nice day out...

    ReplyDelete