Sunday, March 13, 2011

microspikes

Look what I got...
IMG_1328
Look at why I got them...
IMG_1247
Of course, the glare ice became this...
IMG_1248
Then this...
IMG_1269
The winter I first moved to Edmonton I crash my bike on a patch of ice while zipping downhill into the river valley. By the time I saw the ice it was too late to do anything but hold on. Without studded tires I didn't stand a chance. I've got a floating chip of bone in my elbow to remind me that ice deserves a bit more respect.

I bought my first pair of studded tires shortly after that accident and they have performed very well. I wish I could say the same for the various running traction devices I've tried - they're great out of the box but they simply don't last. The microspikes certainly appear durable. Kahtoola must think they've got something pretty special because they come with a one year satisfaction guarantee, which is good because I've got a lot of miles to log and winter isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment