Saturday, January 14, 2012

should have stayed in bed

Some runs don't go as planned. Usually you adjust and continue on. Sometimes, however, it's best to save what little you've got left to fight another day.

My plan last Saturday was a 2.5 hour 20+ km run at Ministik. The Waskahegan is one of my favorite trails. It's a run I've done dozens of times before in all sorts of conditions, including snow.
IMG_2248 Given our mild winter and near lack of snow in the city, I was looking forward to a relaxing afternoon in the forest. Turns out there was another plan in the works. There was more snow than in the city and I buried the car in the ditch before I even got started.  IMG_2256 Thankfully that happened at the trail head. Minor set back. I put a call into the mrs who agreed to give me a tow. The trail was in good shape, the sun was out, and I had a few hours on my hands. I put on my microspikes and took off at a strong pace. IMG_2229 The good conditions didn't last long. The trail deteriorated into an unstable, rain crusted crud. IMG_2230 My run became a jog and then a walk and I hadn't even reached the less well used section of trail. By the time I got to the forest I was exhausted. This was the first time I could see running snowshoes as being more help than hindrance. IMG_2231 Oh, and I bent down to adjust my shoe and broke the sunglasses that were in my pocket. It was time to turn around.
IMG_2251 The run back was fine but I was too annoyed about my sunglasses and the car I still had to unstick to enjoy it. I took a few detours when the footing improved, trying to salvage what remained of the afternoon, but it was hard to do much better than an awkward shuffle in most places. Warning: don't run in microspikes when wobbling like a drunken sailor. Nicking your ankle really hurts. Yup, that was the topper.

No comments:

Post a Comment